Characteristics Of World Class Minority Supplier Program
Jerry O. Wilhoit, C.P.M.
Jerry O. Wilhoit, C.P.M., Corporate Minority Vendor Coordinator, Miller Brewing Company, Milwaukee, WI 53201, 414/931-4451
81st Annual International Conference Proceedings - 1996 - Chicago, IL
The Background. The Wilhoit World Class Minority Supplier Program Self Evaluation Model was developed by Wilhoit on behalf of the Miller brewing company. This evaluation model is partially the result of a soft data study on supplier diversity development. This study was conducted over a three year period. Data supporting the soft data study resulted from talking to over 40 representatives from major corporations who have Supplier Diversity Program in 19 States.
Instructions: If you would like to rate your company's progress, the following Wilhoit World Class Minority Supplier Program Self Evaluation Model will provide you with a formal means of evaluating your company's minority program against the characteristics of a World Class Minority Supplier Program. The evaluation contains a series of statements relating to nine key elements of a World Class Minority Supplier Program. These statements describe various characteristics of a World Class Minority Supplier Program that may or may not exist in your company.
For each statement in the model below, please circle how true the
statement is using the following scale:
Definitely Not True 1 2 3 4 Extremely True
WILHOIT MODEL -- CHARACTERISTICS OF WORLD CLASS MINORITY SUPPLIER PROGRAM
- EXECUTIVE INVOLVEMENT
- Top executives help to establish the program's direction.
- Top executive is visibly involved and show leadership.
- The M/WBE Director reports to the top Executive or has direct access.
- Program objectives are fully understood by CEO and other Sr. Mgmt.
- Program Policies are published and widely distributed.
- PURCHASING DEPARTMENT
- Buyers are encouraged to identify potential suppliers and work with suppliers to provide the technical expertise.
- Attend trade and opportunity fairs to meet new potential suppliers.
- Buyers have qualitative or quantitative M/WBE goals and objectives.
- Have a percentage of their compensation based upon achievement of M/WBE goals.
- COMPANY-WIDE INVOLVEMENT
- A M/WBE Program Director is appointed who provides direction within the company.
- All employees understand and feel responsible for the success of the program.
- All departments have goals and objectives related to the program.
- PROGRAM MANAGEMENT
- The M/WBE Director is a full-time position.
- Your organization has implemented a M/WBE Program?
- You or your Program Administrator know the various legislation affecting policies and procedures in the area of M/WBE Programs?
- The Program has a formal and management accepted strategic plan.
- You or the Program Administrator has thorough knowledge of your company's affirmative action policies.
- MARKETING, PROMOTIONS AND COMMUNICATIONS
- Quality communications exist with management regarding the program.
- There is Internal and External Communication
- PROGRAM TECHNIQUES
The program contains the following features:
- Utilizes only officially recognized "certified" minority or women suppliers.
- Have a formal M/WBE subcontracting process.
- A professional services strategy (architects, consultants, etc.)
- Unlimited Goals -- each department has goals.
- Special Efforts and Initiatives -- Host internal M/WBE Trade Shows
- Program results are published in the annual report
- Tracking and Auditing are reported monthly quarterly.
- SUPPLIER DEVELOPMENT
- The program offers economic development or financial assistance.
- Access to company resources can be provided to the supplier, i.e., quality control, and technical assistance.
- 2ND TIER PURCHASING
- Program Administrator and prime supplier fully understands the 2nd tier process.
- Have developed 2nd tier supplier's strategies.
- 2nd tier is a routine subcontracting activity.
- Monetary incentive exists through appraisals, bonuses
- Recognition incentive exists -- Plaques, monetary prizes or valuable gifts are given for achievements of various kinds in support of the program.
- Outstanding minority suppliers and/or contractors are recognized through the presentation of an award at a highly publicized event
Total all sections and evaluate your company against the following scale.
65 --- 89 MODERATELY STRONG PROGRAM
90 --- 114 VERY STRONG PROGRAM
115--- 135 WORLD CLASS PROGRAM