Legal Foundations of Supply Management: The Basics You Need to Succeed
This seminar is currently unavailable. Check back for upcoming dates and locations.
A broad understand of legal concepts that impact supply management is a must for today’s professionals. From ethics to e-commerce, legal issues play a key role in the supply chain. This seminar will help practitioners understand the laws that affect their work with suppliers and customers. It will examine various aspects of contract law, international contracts and electronic communications. When you complete this seminar, you will have a solid legal foundation to better protect yourself and your organization.
Who should attend
New and experienced supply management professionals seeking to gain a broad understanding of legal concepts affecting purchasing, especially contract law and the Uniform Commercial Code (UCC). Completion of this course prepares you for Contract Writing Basics: What All the Ts and Cs Mean; Contract Writing for Purchasing and Supply Management: Beyond the Basics; and Legal Considerations of Software Licensing and Other Technology-Related Agreements.
You will earn 21 CEHs for this seminar
You will learn
- How to conduct business legally with suppliers and customers
- Key laws that affect your role as a supply management professional
- Your legal and ethical obligations and liabilities
- Which transactions are governed by what laws
- How to identify issues that require professional legal advice
- How to form binding contracts
- The legal impact of the use of electronic communications.
- Overview of the foundation of contract law, the Common Law, the UCC and U.N. Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods (CISG)
- What are your duties and obligations as a representative acting on behalf of your organization? The law of agency is the underlying legal authority for supply managers to do their jobs
- Exchange of standard purchase and sales order forms and battle of forms
- Long-term contracts; International contracts
- Contract enforcement considerations: Various situations arise during the contract formation process that impact the enforceability of contracts
- Using electronic communication in the contracting process and the legal implications associated with it
- Contract performance: Once a valid contract has been formed, what are the obligations of the parties in that relationship?
- Warranties and product liability; Protecting your organization against product liability lawsuits
- Remedies: Contracts would mean little if there were no consequences when a breach occurs
- Overview of other key laws affecting supply management that you should be aware of: Intellectual property, antitrust and various other federal laws.